About this blog title

I cannot tell you how many times I have shown up at events with a couple of cameras around my neck, a gadget bag full of odds & ends and a lighting kit and have been asked that question. If it happened once every few years, that would be one thing. But it happens a LOT. It's like getting pulled over by the police and he's standing there with uniform, gun, flashing lights and asking him "Are you a cop?" I would love to come back with a witty reply, such as "No, I am Jesus. Don't you recognize my beard?" However, I cannot be that rude.


Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Day Twentytwo: All My Loving

After a couple of grey, wet days we have sunshine in Chaumont again today.



Last Summer as I was walking home from the liquor store with a nice bottle of red wine the late afteroon Sun on the sidewalk caught my eye. The store is about three blocks from my house. Walking there serves two purposes: I get some exercise and, because I always have a camera with me, I just might make a interesting photo. One of the lessons to take from this is oe that I harp on all the time. Go walking with a camera and really look at the world around you. There are photos to be made around your house, in your yard, your neighborhood. Many people are so accustomed to their surroundings they overlook the simply beauty of their immediate environment.





This morning I have put in a solid three hours of guitar practice. 45 minutes of which was spent on Estudio Brillante by Francisco Tarrega. After running through a few other pieces I opened a book of Beatles songs arranged for classical guitar by Joe Washington. His arrangement of All My Loving is one that I have dabbled with a few times over the years. It's not particularly difficult, but, it spans two sides of one page. What is frustrating is the last four bars of the first repeat are on the opposite side of the first page. So, I must turn the page to read through those four bars, then turn the page back to begin the repeat. (The four bars I speak of are shown below.) Nothing fun about that as I want to memorize the section. This is one of the reasons I have never really put the tune in my repertoir. Lazy, I know. So, finally this morning I decide to memorize those four bars so as to eliminate the page turning as I memorize the first section. To do so I played those bars over slowly & deliberatly for 100 times. That's how it's done, or at least how I do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leav comments and suggestions about this blog and how I maght improve it. Thanks, Gary Walts