About this blog title

I cannot tell you how many times I have shown up at events with a couple of cameras around my neck, a gadget bag full of odds & ends and a lighting kit and have been asked that question. If it happened once every few years, that would be one thing. But it happens a LOT. It's like getting pulled over by the police and he's standing there with uniform, gun, flashing lights and asking him "Are you a cop?" I would love to come back with a witty reply, such as "No, I am Jesus. Don't you recognize my beard?" However, I cannot be that rude.


Friday, March 19, 2010

Day Seventeen: Twilight Time




One of the difficult things about photography is simply how to make a good photograph. It's like anything else, it takes practice. One of the best things to do is to simply go out for a walk in your neighborhood with your camera. Photograph anything you find of interest. Take a lot of pictures and look at them. Try to figure out why some work and some don't. Now, let me give you a tip: Photography is all about light. That is the key ingredient. Light has many qualities that can make even the most mundane objects interesting. So, one of the things you can do is go for that walk at a time of day when the light is interesting. One of the things you can do to improve your odds of a making good photographs is to go for that walk at twilight time. That is the period of time when the sun has set but there is still a lot of light in the sky. It's not dark. It's luminescent. It's twilight time. Twilight. Say that word. Twilight. Just the sound of the word suggests something magical. Many people go out to photograph a Sunset and put their camera away as soon as the Sun disappears. Well, that's the time to start looking around you and try to make more pictures. The twilight period does not last long, so be observant, make some snaps. That light will add a special touch to your photos.
\



These two scenes I photographed last night in my home village of Chaumont, NY.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leav comments and suggestions about this blog and how I maght improve it. Thanks, Gary Walts