About this blog title

I cannot tell you how many times I have shown up at events with a couple of cameras around my neck, a gadget bag full of odds & ends and a lighting kit and have been asked that question. If it happened once every few years, that would be one thing. But it happens a LOT. It's like getting pulled over by the police and he's standing there with uniform, gun, flashing lights and asking him "Are you a cop?" I would love to come back with a witty reply, such as "No, I am Jesus. Don't you recognize my beard?" However, I cannot be that rude.


Friday, March 26, 2010

Day Twenty Four:

Well, it was 15 degrees and sunshine in Chaumont, NY this morning. All in all a nice day weatherwise, just a tad cool.



I photographed this couple a year or so ago. I cannot remember where they were, other than near some railroad tracks. I have a hunch it was near Gouvernuer, NY. If I go back through my appointment books I could probably figure it out. This photo falls into yet another category I call People I Have Seen. This category is people I see out on the street or somewhere in a public place that happen to catch my eye. Most times I try to make the photo surreptitiously. That was the case here. The couple never noticed me. Unless I have a compelling reason, I don't bother to find out who they are or what they are doing. If the people are interesting enough to catch my eye, then I figure they will make an interesting photograph.
I drive by this house regularly whenever I go from Chaumont to Syracuse. I cannot tell you the name of the road it's on, even though I drive the road at least once a week. Anyhow, I was returning home and the late day light was inspiring. Now I really wasn't trying to make any special photos, but I did something that I do once in a while. I just pointed the camera out the car window as I was driving and held the shutter down. It was set to high speed advance, which is about 3 or four frames a second. I was not looking through the camera. I keep my eyes on the road. Later on I look at the results and usually there is nothing there. However, in this instance I like how the Sun was caught in the windows, and the blurry motion caused by the camera speeding down the road. I find something oddly appealing about this photo. That appeal may simply be that the photo was the result of pure, dumb luck.

On another note, there was some good guitar practice this morning. I also lined up a 2 hour guitar gig for the Alexandria Bay & Clayton Chambers of Commerce at the Riveredge Resort in the bay. It's a private function in May. Should be nice. I also got my income taxes filed today. There's no better way to get depressed than to do that. For the life of me I cannot understand how a guy like me can earn such a modest income and have to give so much of it to the government. I do not live high on the hog. I live rather frugally and have accomplished quite a lot because of that. My property taxes have steadily gone up over the years too. When my income goes into the tank my taxes don't get lowered. It is crazy what we pay in this Empire State for property taxes. I'd love to go on, but those of you who live here know all about it, and I simply have run out of steam for this day. Days like this are days when I truly enjoy a nice beer or glass of red wine. However, I gave up all forms of alcohol for Lent. It's been killing me. But, I must remind myself that giving up beer and wine coupled with the stress of giving Caeser his due is nothing compared to what Jesus went through. I guess that is the lesson that Lent is all about.
Best to you all. Gary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leav comments and suggestions about this blog and how I maght improve it. Thanks, Gary Walts