About this blog title

I cannot tell you how many times I have shown up at events with a couple of cameras around my neck, a gadget bag full of odds & ends and a lighting kit and have been asked that question. If it happened once every few years, that would be one thing. But it happens a LOT. It's like getting pulled over by the police and he's standing there with uniform, gun, flashing lights and asking him "Are you a cop?" I would love to come back with a witty reply, such as "No, I am Jesus. Don't you recognize my beard?" However, I cannot be that rude.


Saturday, March 20, 2010

Day Eighteen: It's Not The Camera




People often think you need a big fancy professional Nikon or Canon camera to make good photos. That idea is continually pushed in the advertising campaigns of these and other camera makers. Some years ago I was showing my wedding portfolio to a young couple looking to hire a wedding photographer. They wanted to know if I was using a Nikon camera. They truly believed that the photographer must use a Nikon to make good photos. They didn't hire me because I used a Minolta. In their mind the camera was more important than the photos I showed them. The fact is, you can make really good photos with simple point & shoot cameras. The crucial thing is to develop your eye, and shoot enough to learn how to get the most out of your camera.
These photos were made with the Konica Minolta Dimage Xg camera. Only 3.2 megapixels, but what a camera. It's a real shame in my opinion what happened to the Minolta camera company. They no longer make cameras. They made some terrific cameras, but I believe their real problem was poor advertising. One day I'll go into that in more detail.
The man with the beard was a vendor at a farmers market in Watertown, NY. The boat scene was in Cape Vincent, NY, the place where the St Lawrence River begins. The Fall scene was taken in Albion, NY.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leav comments and suggestions about this blog and how I maght improve it. Thanks, Gary Walts