About this blog title

I cannot tell you how many times I have shown up at events with a couple of cameras around my neck, a gadget bag full of odds & ends and a lighting kit and have been asked that question. If it happened once every few years, that would be one thing. But it happens a LOT. It's like getting pulled over by the police and he's standing there with uniform, gun, flashing lights and asking him "Are you a cop?" I would love to come back with a witty reply, such as "No, I am Jesus. Don't you recognize my beard?" However, I cannot be that rude.


Thursday, November 25, 2010

Day 268: Thanksgiving Day


Well it was 20 degrees or so in Chaumont NY this morning. The photo is the thermometer attached to a maple tree in my backyard. Today we will be having dinner with the Better Half's daughter's home in Brownville, NY, about 12 miles from here. The BH has baked a pumpkin pie and I am making an apple crisp which is our contribution to today's dinner.
Tomorrow is what he become known as Black Friday. Supposedly it is the biggest shopping day in The US. It is the day when retail businesses sell enough merchandise that their books go into the black. Black ink that is as opposed to red ink which shows a deficit in their books. In other words, it's the day that they hopefully make a profit for the year, making up for all the lousy sales of the past year.
Now, as anyone living in the US is aware of, there has been intense competition amongs these retailers. So, many of them offer special, select deals to those willing to come into their store at 4:00AM. I personally think people who get up that early to start shopping have rocks in their heads.
The other thing I dislike about it is it has become a "news" story. Consequently I have to be at one of these stores at 3:30AM to photograph the lines of shoppers waiting for the doors to open, and then to photograph them inside the stores as they shop. Well, at least I am getting paid to do it, but believe me, I think I'd rather go have a tooth pulled.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leav comments and suggestions about this blog and how I maght improve it. Thanks, Gary Walts