About this blog title

I cannot tell you how many times I have shown up at events with a couple of cameras around my neck, a gadget bag full of odds & ends and a lighting kit and have been asked that question. If it happened once every few years, that would be one thing. But it happens a LOT. It's like getting pulled over by the police and he's standing there with uniform, gun, flashing lights and asking him "Are you a cop?" I would love to come back with a witty reply, such as "No, I am Jesus. Don't you recognize my beard?" However, I cannot be that rude.


Friday, June 11, 2010

Day Onehundred: Time For Beer



photo by Gary Walts ( as all photos on this blog are).
Hey, if there is one thing we like at this blog, it's beer! And what better way to celebrate my 100th day of this blog. Well, I almost didn't post anthing today because i am so darn tired. it's been a long day. I had a two hour guitar gig at the jefferson County Historical Society in Watertown NY. I was the first performer in the Friday Boxed Lunch series. A performer plays outdoors from 11:00 to 1:00 on Friday's through the Summer. It went well, for the most part, however, I chickened out on playing some new pieces of music and got myself stressed out more than I should have. You see, normally I like to play in the background to set the ambiance of a situation. What happened today was everyone sat and REALLY listened. That focused attention does something to me. I don't want it too. It's not really stage fright, but I guess there is no better name for it. I wasn't frightened. But the scrutiny from the audience isn't what I am accustomed to. Anyhow, some pieces I played particularly well, others fell apart here and there. One piece that i have played for years I just abandoned a few bars into it, laughed it off. What else can you do? I think one of the problems was that I had to be in Syracuse by 3:00pm for the Post-Standard. I would have been more relaxed If that obligation were not hanging over my head. Anyhow, I shot a couple of jobs for the Post, including some video that turned out disastrous. Overall it was a good day with a contrast of ups & downs, mentally challenging. But you know what? It's better than being bored. Today is a reminder that I really need to put myself in more of those situations where people are truly listening and scrutinizing my guitar playing. It's what I need to do so I can overcome that lack of confidence, or whatever it is. For now this day has left me tired. It will be 1:00am before I finally get to bed. That's it for now. Enjoy your beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leav comments and suggestions about this blog and how I maght improve it. Thanks, Gary Walts