About this blog title

I cannot tell you how many times I have shown up at events with a couple of cameras around my neck, a gadget bag full of odds & ends and a lighting kit and have been asked that question. If it happened once every few years, that would be one thing. But it happens a LOT. It's like getting pulled over by the police and he's standing there with uniform, gun, flashing lights and asking him "Are you a cop?" I would love to come back with a witty reply, such as "No, I am Jesus. Don't you recognize my beard?" However, I cannot be that rude.


Saturday, June 5, 2010

Day Ninetyfour: Farm Family


The day began at 64degrees in Chaumont, NY. It rained quite a bit during the night. It is overcast and gray at the moment. I am off to photograph a wedding this afternoon at sackets Harbor, NY. I look forward to it and hope to make some good promotional photos as well as great shots for the bride. I don't know the reason why, but this particular wedding season has been slow for me. Not as many jobs on the books. I know there is increased competition out there. I am seeing photographers shooting weddings for a hundred dollars. That's $100.00 I don't know what to make of that. I do know one thing, I have many times taken photos at weddings where I am a guest and the bride & groom like my "snap shots" better than the one's they paid their photographer for. Enough of that.
Todays Photo

The subject in this photo is Arthur LaBrie. Art passed away a couple of months ago. He was one of the members of a farm family whose lives I was documenting some years ago. I plan to share more of these photos as time goes by. Arthur was an interesting guy. Supposedly he was a hypnotist. He had a diploma on his wall from a hypnotism school somewhere. I don't think I ever photographed that diploma. He smoked and drank heavily. He called Jack Daniels his medicine. He worked and hoarded his money, which in the big scheme of things wasn't a lot. However, a few years ago when the family farm house burned, uninsured, Art had enough cash in the bank to rebuild the home. Long accused of being a penny pinching miser from others in his family, he was the only one with the resources to save the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leav comments and suggestions about this blog and how I maght improve it. Thanks, Gary Walts