About this blog title

I cannot tell you how many times I have shown up at events with a couple of cameras around my neck, a gadget bag full of odds & ends and a lighting kit and have been asked that question. If it happened once every few years, that would be one thing. But it happens a LOT. It's like getting pulled over by the police and he's standing there with uniform, gun, flashing lights and asking him "Are you a cop?" I would love to come back with a witty reply, such as "No, I am Jesus. Don't you recognize my beard?" However, I cannot be that rude.


Sunday, June 6, 2010

Day Ninetyfive: Cole Slaw



A lot of photographers I know are really good cooks. I think it's because we are out ramming around so much, grabbing quick food and snacks to eat on the run, that we like to take time out for good food. I, for one, am always on the lookout for something different. I'll try anything once. I have tried more new recipes that I didn't like than those I have liked. This cole slaw was one of the winners. It's different because it has an oil & vinegar dressing.
Here is how I make it:
Chop up some cabbage and red onion. I might chop a whole small cabbage, or half of a large one and slice up a medium sized red onion. Always I add 2 chopped garlic cloves, sometimes 3. Sometimes I chop the cabbage coarse with a knife, as in the photo, other times I shred it fine with a mandolin style vegatable slicer. In general I prefer the coarse version. I slice up a red onion, and mince two or three garlic cloves. Put all the vegatables into a large bowl. Then I add one or two tablespoons of olive oil, 3 tablespoons of sugar, and four tablespoons of vinegar. Next I mix it all together with a fork. Cover and refrigerate until you are ready to serve. Now, as with many recipes, you can adjust the quantities of the various ingredients to suit your taste. Sometimes I don't use any oil at all. Sometimes I use more vinegar, sometimes less sugar. There are no hard and fast rules. You might want to add some carrots to it also, which I do sometimes. No matter how it's done, it's great. One of my favorites. Hope you try it and enjoy it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leav comments and suggestions about this blog and how I maght improve it. Thanks, Gary Walts