About this blog title

I cannot tell you how many times I have shown up at events with a couple of cameras around my neck, a gadget bag full of odds & ends and a lighting kit and have been asked that question. If it happened once every few years, that would be one thing. But it happens a LOT. It's like getting pulled over by the police and he's standing there with uniform, gun, flashing lights and asking him "Are you a cop?" I would love to come back with a witty reply, such as "No, I am Jesus. Don't you recognize my beard?" However, I cannot be that rude.


Monday, May 10, 2010

Day Seventy: Working In The Cold



This is a photo I took of my friend and fellow photographer Chuck Wainwright. This was taken yesterday at Herkimer Community College. The photo of the guy in the beard and yellow rain coat is ME! Chuck took that photo. It was Mother's Day and the weather was horrible. Cold, windy, snow off and on. Truly the worst weather we have had in two months. Chuck and I were at the college photographing the women's and men's lacrosse national championship games. He was working for Onondaga Community College, I for the Post-Standard. We were out there for a total of six hours. The weather explains why we were so bundled up. It was a long time to be out in that cold, but I was comfortable. There are two things I do, and tell others to do to endure the cold. Wear a hat. That's number one. Knitted toques are preferred. Notice that Chuck and I each have one on. The next biggie is to dress in layers. On this day the temperature never rose above 40 degrees. (Did it?) But it was WINDY. So, I wore a turtle neck shirt, then a work shirt over that, then a lightweight vest, then a heavier fleece over that. That equals four layers over my torso, three layers over my arms. Then, because of the wind and snow, I added the large, yellow raincoat. It's just a cheapie I keep in the car at all times. It makes a terrific wind breaker and also is big enough to keep my camera tucked under it should the rain begin. Thus, I have a total of five layers. With my back to the wind I was perfectly comfortable all day. I might add that another thing that helps me in the cold is the turtle neck. I must keep my neck covered. Thus, the vest I wear and the larger fleece both zip up high around the neck too, effectively making them turtle necks. Also, remember this: Your layers need to be loose enough so as not to restrict your mobility or their effectiveness against the cold. The photo of the lacrosse game was taken by me for the Post-Standard. It was Onondaga Community College vs. Monroe Community College. OCC lost, 8-7. The following link will (at least should) take you to more photos from that game as well as the men's game. The men's team from OCC handily defeated their opposition. I believe the final score was 17-1. Anyhow, don't let the weather get in the way of your next fun time at work.

See more of Gary's lacrosse photos by clicking the following:
Take Me To Lacrosse Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leav comments and suggestions about this blog and how I maght improve it. Thanks, Gary Walts