About this blog title

I cannot tell you how many times I have shown up at events with a couple of cameras around my neck, a gadget bag full of odds & ends and a lighting kit and have been asked that question. If it happened once every few years, that would be one thing. But it happens a LOT. It's like getting pulled over by the police and he's standing there with uniform, gun, flashing lights and asking him "Are you a cop?" I would love to come back with a witty reply, such as "No, I am Jesus. Don't you recognize my beard?" However, I cannot be that rude.


Friday, September 24, 2010

Day 206: Puffballs



A week or so ago a couple of puffballs appeared in my yard over by the wood pile. I have not seen one in quite few years. I was excited becaue these things are edible. I have not eaten one since I was a teenager. However, when I opened it up it was allready permeated with brown streaks inside. You don't want that. The inside should be firm, solid white. A week later two more appeared, but they are not round like the puffballs I am familiar with. In fact, it may not be puffballs at all. Or, perhaps they are a varity of puffball, or maybe puffballs sometimes sprout with an odd shape such as the one in the lower photo. It's too bad it is unfamiliar looking to me, because I would love to slice it up and fry it with some butter & garlic.
You can see how different these two fungi appear, but the size of the odd shaped one makes me think it is a form of puffball. The round one in the upper photo was about the same size as the one in the lower photo. If anyone out there sees this post and can enlighten me I would love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leav comments and suggestions about this blog and how I maght improve it. Thanks, Gary Walts