About this blog title

I cannot tell you how many times I have shown up at events with a couple of cameras around my neck, a gadget bag full of odds & ends and a lighting kit and have been asked that question. If it happened once every few years, that would be one thing. But it happens a LOT. It's like getting pulled over by the police and he's standing there with uniform, gun, flashing lights and asking him "Are you a cop?" I would love to come back with a witty reply, such as "No, I am Jesus. Don't you recognize my beard?" However, I cannot be that rude.


Saturday, April 17, 2010

Day Fortysix: Another Still Life


Well, it was rainy & cool in Chaumont, NY this morning, and likewise throughout my travels. But who can complain? How about the volcano eruption going on in Iceland? That's really something. If I had the enrgy to go into it all I would talk about how volcanic activity has been melting glaciers. Science has always been one of my great interests since I was a child. Sooner or later I'll talk some science.
The above photo is another still life captured at my friend Greg Lago's shop, Winged Bull Studio in Clayton. The pens were just sitting on his work bench, waiting to be photographed. There are usually still life photographs sitting right in front of us amid the clutter of everyday living. Nothing posed or set up. You just have to see them, or find them, sort of like looking for Waldo.

A Reminder of how good my life is.


So once again I have had a full and interesting day. It started a week or so ago when I ran into a friend who has a granddaughter with a rare kidney problem. She went through some serious operations at a hospital in Boston that have cost the family a lot of money. He said the Masons Lodge here in Chaumont were hosting an Italian dinner event to raise money for the family. I told my friend that if I were home in time I would go to the dinner and play some guitar. So, here is how my day went: I put in some guitar practice in the morning with my coffee. No better way for me to start the day. It was cool outdoors, so I got the wood stove burning. I then drove off to photographan Earth Day event in Southern Oswego County. Some kids from the Central Square chapter of the Good Ole Boys Junior Bass Masters were picking up litter near the Erie Canal i n that region. From there I drove to Syracuse and photographed a babies birthday party at St. Joseph's Hospital. I got all that wrapped up and made it back to Chaumont in time for the Italian dinner. So I took my guitar over there and played, unamplified, for about an hour and a half. Everyone seemed to enjoy it a lot. Some folks went out of their way to let me know how much they liked the music. This was an unadvertised bonus for those who attended the event. The photography went well, the guitar playing went well, now I relate it all here. It has been a very satisfying day. Suddenly, as I finish this I realize once again how rich and wonderful my life is. How is it I can be so blessed? Believe me, I do not ask that question lightly. Sometimes, like now, I truly wonder that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leav comments and suggestions about this blog and how I maght improve it. Thanks, Gary Walts