About this blog title

I cannot tell you how many times I have shown up at events with a couple of cameras around my neck, a gadget bag full of odds & ends and a lighting kit and have been asked that question. If it happened once every few years, that would be one thing. But it happens a LOT. It's like getting pulled over by the police and he's standing there with uniform, gun, flashing lights and asking him "Are you a cop?" I would love to come back with a witty reply, such as "No, I am Jesus. Don't you recognize my beard?" However, I cannot be that rude.


Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Day Fiftysix / Fiftyseven: Chaumont Snow




Well, It had to happen sooner or later. I never got to the blog yesterday. Anyhow, it was snow in Chamount (Chamount is pronounced sha-mow, and rhymes with snow)for a good part of the day, mixed with rain off & on. This morning it was 38 degrees when I got up, and sunshine. All in all, one cannot complain about this years March & April weather.



Now let me tell you a little bit about photographing snow. Unless it is a really heavy snow, wide angle lenses often will not convey how the scene tryuly looked to you who was there. If the snow is falling lightly, as was the case yesterday, two things help to accentuate it. A dark background and a long lens. In the case of the photos presnted here, I shot them yesterday from my back steps. The dark backround is my garage. The lens was a 200mm. The long lens tends to compress and accentuate the falling snow, making it more noticeable. The third thing to consider is your lens opening, or aperture. In the top photo I used the lenses maximum aperture of f2.8. This accounts for it's particular look. In the lower photo I used an aperture of f8. This smaller lens opening makes more of the snow flakes sharper over a deeper range from the camera lens to the subject in focus. Why the streaks in the lower photo? Because the smaller aperture requires a correspondingly slower shutter speed to maintain a correct exposure. Hence, the snow moves during the slower exposure, resulting in the streaks. Also known as motion blur. Is that helpfull?
Regards, Gary.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leav comments and suggestions about this blog and how I maght improve it. Thanks, Gary Walts