About this blog title

I cannot tell you how many times I have shown up at events with a couple of cameras around my neck, a gadget bag full of odds & ends and a lighting kit and have been asked that question. If it happened once every few years, that would be one thing. But it happens a LOT. It's like getting pulled over by the police and he's standing there with uniform, gun, flashing lights and asking him "Are you a cop?" I would love to come back with a witty reply, such as "No, I am Jesus. Don't you recognize my beard?" However, I cannot be that rude.


Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Day Fortynine: Portrait Of A Banana Peel

It's best for me to create a blog entry in the morning as opposed to now, almost 9:00 in the evening. But somedays one has no choice. The day began at about 40 degrees in Chaumont, NY this morning. Then we had a great, Sunny day, ending with a nice sunset.
What does the world's smartest man eat for breakfast? Well, this morning I had some yogurt, a small sandwich of pastrami on rye, a piece of carrot cake and..... A BANANA! That's where today's photo came from. It may seem odd to take a photo of a banana peel, but it seemed to present itself to me so I took it. Now let me tell you something about being a professional photographer. It's one thing to take pictures for yourself or for family and friends. Some things, like weddings, tend to be straight forward. But when it comes to shooting for newspapers, magazines, the Associated Press, advertisers, and other, you just never know what you will be asked to photograph. You just might get asked to photograph a banana peel. How would you do it? Well, buy some bananas and start peeling them and arranging the peels in a visually pleasing fashion, add some kind of light, and shoot away. Easier said than done. It can turn into real work. Shooting, reshooting, and trying to come upon the "just right" combination of elements. If I had been hired to make a banana peel photo I probably would never have come up with the likes of today's photo. This morning I simply ate a banana and placed the peel on the dish. I just laid it there. Then I noticed it's shape. I was struck by how perfect a banana peel it appeared to me. If I were hired to make this photo I would have eaten the banana with a preconcieved notion of how the peel should look afterwards. Then I would have had to move the thing into a million positions just to get it to look "right". One more thing. I really did eat all that stuff for breakfast but it wasn't as much as it sounds like. The pastrami on rye was SMALLand so was the carrot cake. Basically It was handy food hanging around the house, so I got rid of it.
Regards, Gary.


The Art Of War...

"...is governed by five constant factors... These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth; (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline." Sun Tzu, born 544 BC.
Isn't all ART governed by these five factors?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leav comments and suggestions about this blog and how I maght improve it. Thanks, Gary Walts