About this blog title

I cannot tell you how many times I have shown up at events with a couple of cameras around my neck, a gadget bag full of odds & ends and a lighting kit and have been asked that question. If it happened once every few years, that would be one thing. But it happens a LOT. It's like getting pulled over by the police and he's standing there with uniform, gun, flashing lights and asking him "Are you a cop?" I would love to come back with a witty reply, such as "No, I am Jesus. Don't you recognize my beard?" However, I cannot be that rude.


Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Thomas Jefferson's Birthday


Today is Thomas Jeferson's 268th birthday. He was the Third President of the United Staes. He wrote "I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."


Thomas Jefferson has appeared on the two dollar bill since 1869. The two dollar bill has been sporadically printed in 1928, 1953, 1963,1976 and 1999.



Here's another Jefferson quote I find interesting:
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.
Thomas Jefferson

We often celebrate Jefferson's birthday in my family, but this year it is low key. Maybe I'll throw something together for this coming weekend. For me, the biggest problem celebrating his birthday today is that we are still in Lent and I have given up beer & wine for lent. However, on Sundays we are permitted to indulge in that which we have given up. So, we may celebrate the great man's birtday a little late. Speaking of beer, here is yeat another Jefferson quote: "Beer , if drank with moderation, softens the tempter, cheers the spirit, and promotes good health.” – Thomas Jefferson
Here on this blog we like beer, but don't like getting drunk, so cheers to you Mr. Jefferson.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leav comments and suggestions about this blog and how I maght improve it. Thanks, Gary Walts