About this blog title

I cannot tell you how many times I have shown up at events with a couple of cameras around my neck, a gadget bag full of odds & ends and a lighting kit and have been asked that question. If it happened once every few years, that would be one thing. But it happens a LOT. It's like getting pulled over by the police and he's standing there with uniform, gun, flashing lights and asking him "Are you a cop?" I would love to come back with a witty reply, such as "No, I am Jesus. Don't you recognize my beard?" However, I cannot be that rude.


Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter Sunday

The morning here in Chaumont, NY is a bit cool, a bit grey. It was about 42 degrees when I got up at 6:00AM. The Sun has come out a couple of times.
Today is Easter. The Better Half is working today until about 3 or 4 this afternoon. I will be going to her daughter's house, and she will meet us there when she gets out of work.  The Better half is in the restaurant business and today is one of their busier days. 

Bottles on a shelf at my celebrity  brother's home in Watertown, NY.  Lent is over & I can drink a beer!
I was raised a Catholic and went to church most Sundays when I was growing up. We always had a nice Sunday dinner. Year in and year out for Easter we would have the traditional ham dinner with scalloped potatoes, vegatables and all the usual trimmings. But there was one Easter Sunday that really sticks out in my memory as my favorite. I don't remember how old I was, I'm going to say probably between 10 & 12. But what makes this one Easter so memorable was the Easter dinner we had. It was hamburgers and French fries! These were not frozen fries purchased at the grocery store. These were cut by my Mother's hand from whole potatoes. I remember them as being out of this world delicious. They were quite special too because in our household we NEVER had French Fries. I assume fries were rare in our house because they were a lot of wok for my mother to prepare,  particularly because she would have to make so many. There were ten kids in our family and I'm guessing there were at least 8 or 9 of us on that Easter Sunday.   Anyway, the French Fries were a great treat. The burgers were especially good, and also somewhat of a rarity in our home too. So the meal was memorable and special. To this day it reamains as my all time favorite Easer dinner. There is one thing that I don't know about. That is,  why my Mother chose to have burgers & fries that day. I'll have to ask her about that.  For all I know she might not remember it. Or maybe there was some reason that she doesn't want to talk about. Maybe my parents were in some sort of financial dilemma that year and she just prepared what was on hand. Maybe they simply wanted to buck tradition. I'll try to find out.

About this photo. I started the day at Musicology, the store where I teach guitar. I had my guitar with me. When nI was done I went to my aprtment house on Clay St., Watertown. My brother lives in one of the downstairs apartments. The one above his is vacant and I have been redoing the bathroom and some other odds & ends, getting it ready to rent. It's not na good idea to leave your instrument in your car for any length of time, Sunner or Winter. So, I stashed it in my brother's apartment while I was working upstairs. When I decided it was time to go home I went into his place to get my guitar and what do I see? The very late day Sun illuminating these bottles on a shelf. Well, I just had to photograph it. Then, pleased with what I saw and shot, I turned around and left, heading for home, WITH OUT my guitar. As soon as I saw something to photograph it pushed everything else out of my mind. I cannot shut my eyes off. However, I can, (but rarely do), simply pass up some of the photo ops that catch my eye. I'm thankful for not passing up this one. Happy Easter everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leav comments and suggestions about this blog and how I maght improve it. Thanks, Gary Walts