About this blog title

I cannot tell you how many times I have shown up at events with a couple of cameras around my neck, a gadget bag full of odds & ends and a lighting kit and have been asked that question. If it happened once every few years, that would be one thing. But it happens a LOT. It's like getting pulled over by the police and he's standing there with uniform, gun, flashing lights and asking him "Are you a cop?" I would love to come back with a witty reply, such as "No, I am Jesus. Don't you recognize my beard?" However, I cannot be that rude.


Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Gas At $3.99 A Gallon


It is April and gas has hit this price in Brownville, NY. About ten miles from my house. Here in Chaumont it is $3.96/gal. This is an outrage. I am convinced this is a scam or ploy being played upon the American people by business & government. I say that because of speculators in the commodity markets and government policies are driving up the price of oil. How would it be if the air lines were shout down following a horrific crash that killed three or four hundred people? That would be ridiculous because accidents happen. The big ones are fairly rare. We are told that the number of crashes & deaths are incredibly small compared to the number of miles flown world wide, year in, year out.
Well why did our government halt all US oil drilling for at least the next 7 years after the disaster in the Gulf of Mexico when thye BP drilling rig exploded? Isn't that overkill? Sure it was terrible, but let's get real. World wide there have been billions upon billons of barrels of oil pumped for how many years? In the past 50 years it is a number that would be incomprehensible. There have been a handful of oil spill disasters. The accidents compared to the prodution numbers are miniscule. The United State is the ONLY country in the world that is not drilling for new oil.

For the past 3 years I have been watching the price of oil. It affects me. I cannot stand it. On January 20, 2009, Innaugeration Day, as Obama was sworn into the presidency oil was $45.00 a barrel. The price of gas well under $2.00 a gallon. Today the price of oil slipped back to $106.00 / a barrel. A few days earlier it was $110.00

Don't forget, the price of oil affects much more that the price of gas. How about home heating oil? For most of the 20+ years I have been living in Chaumont the price we paid fro fuel oil has been around $.89 cents to maybe a $1.19 a gallon. We use about a thousand gallons a year. When it went to 1.50 a gallon our heating bill went up by $500.00. Ouch! In 2007 it was well over $2.00 a gallon. Our heating bill was going well over 2 thousand dollars. In 2008 it was climbing up over $3.00 a gallon. I simply could not afford a 3 thousand dollar fuel bill. But I had no choice. However, we installed a wood stove as a supplement, not a primary heat source. With the combination of oil & wood we have managed to keep our heat bill to about $1,500.00 Otherwise it would be well over 3 grand. In Summer of 2009 (Obama's first Summer in office) we paid $1.99 for a gallon of home heating oil. # weeks ago when I bought some it was $4.00 a gallon. The HIGHEST, HIGHEST price EVER. That would be a $4,000 heating bill for the season if that price heald & we didn't have the wood stove. And believe me, we keep the thermostat LOW!. There are millions and millions of people in this country in the same predicament. How can we absorb such an increase? And Obama has tha audacity to say that the people really wouldn't be bothered by the price if it rose up slower. He was talking about gas at the time, but has he & everyone else overlooked the home heating oil crisis? And BTW, natural gas in not available where I live.

The Syracuse Symphony Orchestra has filed for bankrupcy and will be dissolved. This event is happening in their 50th anniversary year. Among the problems they have had was a 23% decline in ticket sales in the past 36 months. Is it any wonder? When one's heating bill rises from $1,500.00 a year to $4,000.00 a year, and one's income stays the same or goes down (as my income did)there's not a lot left for concert tickets.

I lay the first round of high oil prices squarely on George Bush. I blame the current problem squarely on Barak Obama. Obama halted the drilling, no one else.


Obama has said more than once that we NEED higher prices to change peoples behaviors. So he WANTS higher oil prices. How can I change my behavior any more? Move south? Shut the oil furnace off all together? The following video clip is him talking about electricity. He wants that to rise too. What am I supposed to live on? Sawdust and ashes left over from the fire wood?


Here is a video of Barack Obama talking about rising electric rates m

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leav comments and suggestions about this blog and how I maght improve it. Thanks, Gary Walts