About this blog title

I cannot tell you how many times I have shown up at events with a couple of cameras around my neck, a gadget bag full of odds & ends and a lighting kit and have been asked that question. If it happened once every few years, that would be one thing. But it happens a LOT. It's like getting pulled over by the police and he's standing there with uniform, gun, flashing lights and asking him "Are you a cop?" I would love to come back with a witty reply, such as "No, I am Jesus. Don't you recognize my beard?" However, I cannot be that rude.


Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Day 357: Update and Inspiration

So it has been 357 days since I started this blog. The past few days have been a bit hectic, I have been a bit tired. I konw that I should sleep in some days & get properly rested up, that way I function much better and get more things accomplished. But recently I do not and the blog suffers.

I would love to have written more about my outrage against the Somalia pirates and the Mexican drug lords because I have not expressed myself adequately.  But I truly do not have the energy.





Let me talk about the photo uploaded yesterday, the shadow on the wall.

Once again it was just a scene I came upon. IT was closing in on Sunset and I was driving by a Syracuse high school and simply saw the shadows of houses and trees cast upon the brick wall. It was like a mural. I just stopped and took the picture. It was that simple. IT was an observance of my surroundings.

Likewise with a photo from a few days back. I was stopped at a traffic light and was struck by the shape and contrast of all the dirt revealed by the melting snowbanks and how they were juxtaposed against the brick building and windows. The light was right too, which  was a blessing. This was at a busy, busy street light. There were no shoulders on the road to pull over. I quickly looked about and could see no convenient place to park & walk around to get a similar angle as that which I saw from the drivers seat. So I quickly snapped it while sitting in my Dodge Caravan waiting for the light to change.  Hmm... maybe there's a book or exhibition idea forming here: Photos From The Drivers Seat. I certainly have taken quite a few from that perspective.

Oh, get this: the above idea was a sudden bit of inspiration. Simply writing this blog entry evolved into this sentence  "Hmm... maybe there's a book or exhibition idea forming here: Photos From The Drivers Seat. I certainly have taken quite a few from that perspective."

It's quite a good idea. It was inspired by my act of writing. It goes with what the great, legendary Spanish artist Pablo Picasso said, "Inspiration exists, but it must find you working." For it is always within the act of doing one thing that our minds reveal other options. Like pathways.  We are enroute to a destination and the road forks, or intersects and another direction is presented to us with the promise of a different opportunity. Had we never embarked on the journey ( or set out on a specific creative goal), the new opportunity or INSPIRATION would not have popped into our psyche.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leav comments and suggestions about this blog and how I maght improve it. Thanks, Gary Walts