About this blog title

I cannot tell you how many times I have shown up at events with a couple of cameras around my neck, a gadget bag full of odds & ends and a lighting kit and have been asked that question. If it happened once every few years, that would be one thing. But it happens a LOT. It's like getting pulled over by the police and he's standing there with uniform, gun, flashing lights and asking him "Are you a cop?" I would love to come back with a witty reply, such as "No, I am Jesus. Don't you recognize my beard?" However, I cannot be that rude.


Monday, January 17, 2011

Day 321: Baby It's Cold Outside

So this morning it was 14 degrees below zero here in Chaumont, NY. I had no idea yesterday that we were headed for so a low a temperature. The reward for that was the nice frost formations on the windows.

Frost formation on a window of my home in Chaumont, NY.


At left is the thermometer that hangs on a Maple tree in my back yard. It can be difficult keeping up enthusiasm for one's endeavors when the fruit they bear produces a small crop over a prolonged period. What I am getting at is how slow it has been for me to establish a solid group of guitar students and to book a susbstantial number of wedding photography jobs. Many years ago I photographed weddings almost every week end. I often would cover two weddings in a weekend.  When I was teaching guitar 18 years or so ago, I generally had about fifteen or so students at any given time. (The guitar has a high dropout rate, so students tend to turn over frequently.) My job with the nerwspaper eventually kept me so busy and paid me well enough that I gave up the teaching and the weddings. That was great for about 23 years. Then, 24 months ago my job was slashed to  twenty hours a week.  I figured that by now I would be re-established in the area as a wedding photographer and as a guitar teacher. Sadly, I have been averaging only four or five students. The weddings have been coming in at a dismal rate also. I assume some of it still has to do with a sluggish economy. There also are a lot of other photograp[hers out there trying to hustle up wedding gigs, and quite frankly, most of them are rather poor shooters. What a person in my position cannot do, however, is quit trying. So, I keep plugging along. Now don't get me wrong, I have had good success and have been able to make up a good portion of my lost job wages, but it's work. I don't mind the work, but at times one does get discouraged.  Anyhow, I hope al of you out there are doing OK.

The best to you all, Gary Walts


Do you know anyone who needs a wedding photographer in the Syracuse or Watertown regions of NY? Send them to me, Gary Walts at www.garywalts.com/weddings

Wedding photography in northern NY, Watertown, and central NY by Gary Walts wedding photographer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leav comments and suggestions about this blog and how I maght improve it. Thanks, Gary Walts