About this blog title

I cannot tell you how many times I have shown up at events with a couple of cameras around my neck, a gadget bag full of odds & ends and a lighting kit and have been asked that question. If it happened once every few years, that would be one thing. But it happens a LOT. It's like getting pulled over by the police and he's standing there with uniform, gun, flashing lights and asking him "Are you a cop?" I would love to come back with a witty reply, such as "No, I am Jesus. Don't you recognize my beard?" However, I cannot be that rude.


Friday, April 19, 2024

Recent Auto Repairs, Safety Inspection Oil Change

 Cars eat up a lot of money. The purchase price, financing, auto insurance, gasoline, maintenance. We have a 2019 Kia Sorento the we are still paying for, and and a 2011 Kia Sedona. that has been paid for for a few years now. 

March 25th I dropped the Sorento off at Watertown Main Auto, 620 W Main St., for the mandatory NY State annual safety and emissions inspection. I also had the garage change the oil for me. I can do it and have done it many times but once in a while I get lazy. The inspection revealed the car needed new front brake pads and rotors.  The total for that came to $387.34

On Monday April 15 I took the Sorento to the former Cheney Tire shop on State St and had the wheels and tires checked out and balanced. That came to $77.76

Well, wouldn't you know it the next day my Kia Sedona started making some ugly noise that sounded like it was coming from the rear brakes. I checkout out and discover a seized caliper and worn brake pads on driver side.  Parts for that job cost $201.94 at Auto Zone. I did the repair so that saved me labor cost. Took me about an hour to do the drivers side. 

The passenger side needed only brake pads. Caliper was beautiful. But the wheel was rusted in place, took forever to break it free from the hub. I sprayed it frequently with WD40, hit the wheel with a sledge hammer and all to no avail. after couple hours I soaked it again with lubricant and left it alone until next morning. 

It came free after I put 3 lug nuts back on loosely, drove forward and suddenly hit the brakes. I did that a couple times and the wheel came loose. 

So, in a months time I spent $667.04 plus a few hours of my time on these vehicles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leav comments and suggestions about this blog and how I maght improve it. Thanks, Gary Walts