About this blog title

I cannot tell you how many times I have shown up at events with a couple of cameras around my neck, a gadget bag full of odds & ends and a lighting kit and have been asked that question. If it happened once every few years, that would be one thing. But it happens a LOT. It's like getting pulled over by the police and he's standing there with uniform, gun, flashing lights and asking him "Are you a cop?" I would love to come back with a witty reply, such as "No, I am Jesus. Don't you recognize my beard?" However, I cannot be that rude.


Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Open Mic Night At Aubrey's In Cape Vincent N.Y.

The photos presented here were snapped by me during an open mic night at Aubrey's Restaurant in Cape Vincent, NY.  The event was hosted by my long time friend Phil Dumond. He had been after me for a long time to come down and play, so finally, this past saturday I did just that. While there I snapped some photos. It was a really fun time. Phil is a very entertaining fellow and a terrific host. I played a few pieces and did OK. I have played better before.  If my sound were a bit louder I think I would have done better. I find that I can never get enough volume when plugged into some one elses syste. With my Fishman Solo Amp I do just fine. The problem has to do with nylong strung classical guitar. It has a piezo electric crystal pick up in that was installed back around 1987. It was one of the first of that sort available. I suppose there are newer devices I could replace it with. But, I believe all I need is a pre-amp. I have a Zoom A2 effects box that I though would work as a preamp, but that didn't really give me much more boost. So, a couple days ago I ordered an LR Baggs GigPro universal preamp. I am hoping it will be just the thing to boost me up in such situations.
Tom O'Rile, 2nd frm left on bass. Far right is Paul ferguson on keyboard. 2nd from right on guitar is Phil Dumond.



Ian Wagbone.


Otherwise, I was only mildly nervous so I don't think that affected my playing too much. It seems to me my playing is always better when I can hear myself playing loud & clear. With that in mind I have also been thinking about a wireless in ear monitor. That may be the ticket.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leav comments and suggestions about this blog and how I maght improve it. Thanks, Gary Walts