About this blog title

I cannot tell you how many times I have shown up at events with a couple of cameras around my neck, a gadget bag full of odds & ends and a lighting kit and have been asked that question. If it happened once every few years, that would be one thing. But it happens a LOT. It's like getting pulled over by the police and he's standing there with uniform, gun, flashing lights and asking him "Are you a cop?" I would love to come back with a witty reply, such as "No, I am Jesus. Don't you recognize my beard?" However, I cannot be that rude.


Sunday, May 20, 2012

Robins Snag Flying Ants in Mid Air

To day was a spectacular one here in Chaumont, N.Y. At least weather wise. It was over 80 degrees F. I spent the morning doing guitar practice, made some guacamole, made some coleslaw. Then I went out and bought some tomato plants. I mowed the lawn. I dug up one of the garden beds. Then I grilled some Hoffman hot dogs and had a couple of Burning River beers. While we were eating in the back yard I noticed a Robin snag a flying insect in mid-air. That was the first time I had ever seen such an acrobatic feat performed by any bird. So I grabbed may camera & tried to catch some snaps of it.


These two photos were snapped a fraction of a second apart. I only had a 200mm lens so the image area occupied by the bird was quite small. I had to crop in tight to make them usable. Consequently the image cannot be blown up too much wothout even more loss of detail. Anyhow, I copied & pasted the two photos into the one. I used Photoshop for that.
It turns out the Robins were snagging flying ants. The sky was quite full of them. The one in the photo was crawling on my leg. I gave it a swat before I knew what it was, so, he was somewhat crippled when I took this photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leav comments and suggestions about this blog and how I maght improve it. Thanks, Gary Walts