About this blog title

I cannot tell you how many times I have shown up at events with a couple of cameras around my neck, a gadget bag full of odds & ends and a lighting kit and have been asked that question. If it happened once every few years, that would be one thing. But it happens a LOT. It's like getting pulled over by the police and he's standing there with uniform, gun, flashing lights and asking him "Are you a cop?" I would love to come back with a witty reply, such as "No, I am Jesus. Don't you recognize my beard?" However, I cannot be that rude.


Sunday, December 8, 2019

I come down with shingles Wednesday, November 27, 2019

So the day before Thanksgiving 2019 I came down with shingles, the disease that breaks out in one who has had chicken pox as a kid. It would be days later when the rash broke out that I learned what I had.

It was Wednesday afternoon and I had been out all morning doing yard work and feeling normal. I felt a sudden pain in my lower right back. "Whoa, what is that," I wondered. CouldI have suddenly hurt my back?

The afternoon wore on and the pain became a steady ache. 

Thanksgiving morning it was more distinct. Noticably worse. We had some family over, had dinner, drinks, the whole deal and the pain got worse.

By the evening it was severe. Pulsing & stabbing in my lower right back. It kept me mostly awake all night. This was the worst pain I have ever experienced. On a scale of 1-10 I gave it a 9.

Friday morning I go to the emergency room at Samaritan. Googling my symptoms I thought I might have kidney problem of some sort. Maybe kidney stones. Blood & urine tests and a CT scan showed nothing. It was most likely muscle spasms r other muscle related issue. One doctor commented that I appeared to be "The healthiest 65 year old alive." Oh dear, I hope he didn't jinx me.

Got 2 prescriptions, muscle relaxer and an anti-inflammation drug. within a couple days the pain was more bearable. Down to a level 5.  The drugs however, weren't agreeing with me a whole lot. I was very sleepy. My urinary & bowel habits changed. I was very miserable. 

Tuesday evening, December 3rd, I discovered an ugly looking, wide spread rash on my lower back where the initial pain started. The rash wrapped around to my front abdomen area, and part way down right buttock. 

Urgent Care Wednesday morning & diagnosed with shingles. Started a regimen of valacyclovir, and anti-viral med. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leav comments and suggestions about this blog and how I maght improve it. Thanks, Gary Walts