About this blog title

I cannot tell you how many times I have shown up at events with a couple of cameras around my neck, a gadget bag full of odds & ends and a lighting kit and have been asked that question. If it happened once every few years, that would be one thing. But it happens a LOT. It's like getting pulled over by the police and he's standing there with uniform, gun, flashing lights and asking him "Are you a cop?" I would love to come back with a witty reply, such as "No, I am Jesus. Don't you recognize my beard?" However, I cannot be that rude.


Saturday, December 4, 2010

Day 277: I Play Guitar Video






So today was a pretty good day. Went to the Thousand Islands Arts Center store in Clayton and played guitar for a couple of hours. Today there were village wide events in all of the shops and churches and the like. Cookie sales, a parade this evening. A festive place today. I did some pretty good playing. The video posted here was filmed at my house in Chaumont, NY. It's not too bad I suppose, but first thing I dislike are the string squeaks caused by left hand fingers sliding on the bass strings. The sound much more pronounced to my ear in the video than they did as I recorded it. So that is something I need to work on. All one needs do is to lift the fingers completely off the string during a chord change. Howevre, that is easier said than done. It requires careful, slow practice. Repition. That is the key to guitar playing, and I suppose to all instruments.
The piece is While My Guitar Gently Weeps, writen by George Harrison when the Beatles were still together. The arrangement is by Larry Beekman . Larry has several good books of music for classical guitar. His Beatles book is still in print and his latest is Enya arranged for clssical guitar. Sadly, a couple of other books of his are no longer available, including his neil Diamond songs for classical guitar.
Larry's Beatles book is an excellent book for intermediate players and great for players who are out "there" doing gigs and in need of tasty, yet playable popular pieces for their repertoir.

"Nothing is more beautiful than the sound of the guitar." Frederick Chopin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leav comments and suggestions about this blog and how I maght improve it. Thanks, Gary Walts