About this blog title

I cannot tell you how many times I have shown up at events with a couple of cameras around my neck, a gadget bag full of odds & ends and a lighting kit and have been asked that question. If it happened once every few years, that would be one thing. But it happens a LOT. It's like getting pulled over by the police and he's standing there with uniform, gun, flashing lights and asking him "Are you a cop?" I would love to come back with a witty reply, such as "No, I am Jesus. Don't you recognize my beard?" However, I cannot be that rude.


Friday, May 31, 2013

Snapping Turtle in the Road

Snapping turtle in the road near Wilson's Bay and Dablon Point, Cape Vincent, N.Y. photo by Gary Walts

The Better Half & I took her grandson G for a ride down to Wilson's Bay in Cape Vincent. It is a favorite swimming spot about ten miles from our home. On the way back we encountered a snapping turtle in the middle of the road. A young man was using a stick to try and lure the turtle the rest of the way across. For some reason the creature got 2/3rds across and decided to sit still. A recipe for disaster. Not only could he accidentally get killed by a car, there are those out there that drive over turtles for sport. Sick bastards like  that should be jailed. Anyhow, I took it as a photo op, snapped a couple shots and then the young man in the photo gripped the turtle by the tail and with a quick motion dragged him off the road. Mission accomplished.

Incidentally, it was 93 degrees in Syracuse and 82 at my house in Chaumont which is why we took the drive to the lake.

Trying to lure a snapping turtle out of the road in Cape Vincent, N.Y.  Gary Walts photo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leav comments and suggestions about this blog and how I maght improve it. Thanks, Gary Walts