About this blog title

I cannot tell you how many times I have shown up at events with a couple of cameras around my neck, a gadget bag full of odds & ends and a lighting kit and have been asked that question. If it happened once every few years, that would be one thing. But it happens a LOT. It's like getting pulled over by the police and he's standing there with uniform, gun, flashing lights and asking him "Are you a cop?" I would love to come back with a witty reply, such as "No, I am Jesus. Don't you recognize my beard?" However, I cannot be that rude.


Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Winter Photo: Weeds in Snow

This Winter photo was snapped in Pulaski NY a couple of weeks ago. I parked my car in a bank parking lot  and spotted these weeds standing in the snow. The background is a cement wall of a building. The photo was made with a Nikon D7000 with a 70-200mm Nikon f2.8 lens. The lens creates a shallow depth of field that throws the background so far out of focus it is not recognizable.

These weeds caught my eye as I was parking my car in a bank parking lot. Snap snap... another Winter Photo.

So far February has been typical for northern New York.  It was 3 below zero here in Chaumont this morning. Today I had the pleasure of photographing Tom Dotterer at his liquor store on North Salina St in Syracuse. He is 77 years old and a well known baseball coach for many years at Christian Brothers Academy. About a week ago he was shot in the eye during a robbery of his store. The gun was a pellet gun of some sort so the wound was not life threatening. In fact, he was back to work at the store the next day. Sadly though, some days later his eye had to be surgically removed. The photos I made today will be published this Sunday. Tom Dotterer is a great man. He talked much about philosophy and his love of books and poetry. I was most impressed. I actually met him a couple of years ago when I photographed him for the sports section of the Post-Standard while he was coaching a baseball game.  There was no time to get to know him  then. It's funny how things work out. If I had not stayed on with the Post or had not been offered a position with our new company, Syracuse Media Group, I would not have had today's experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leav comments and suggestions about this blog and how I maght improve it. Thanks, Gary Walts