About this blog title

I cannot tell you how many times I have shown up at events with a couple of cameras around my neck, a gadget bag full of odds & ends and a lighting kit and have been asked that question. If it happened once every few years, that would be one thing. But it happens a LOT. It's like getting pulled over by the police and he's standing there with uniform, gun, flashing lights and asking him "Are you a cop?" I would love to come back with a witty reply, such as "No, I am Jesus. Don't you recognize my beard?" However, I cannot be that rude.


Monday, February 11, 2013

Car on Snowy Highway

A car travels North on a snowy, icy  interstate Rt. 81 in Watertown, N.Y.   photo by Gary Walts


Yesterday began with a temperature of 4 below zero at my home in Chaumont, NY.  By mid day it was 22 above. I was one of 3 entertainers to play at a spaghetti dinner fund raising event at the Italian American Club in Watertown. I played for one hour, 12:00 to 1:00
How did I do? Well, sucky I thought. I did get very positive feed back from the people that were there, including my fellow musicians. What I do not understand is how I can play so well one night ( as I did a couple weeks ago at Cafe Mira)  and then so poorly (by comparison) another time. I suppose it all boils down to you have good days and you have bad days. 
Here is an example: At Cafe Mira I played an arrangement of the Beatles tune Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da by the Australian guitaris Joe Washington. It is a fun arrangement but difficult. In recent months I have been polishing it up and it is still not to the level I would trulky like it to be, but, It's pretty darn close. I am comfortable with it. I've played it out frequently in the last few months and it always goes over well. I played it GREAT at cafe Mira. But yesterday, I forgot a passage. I fumbled all over for a couple of moments wondering what in the Hell was I doing, where was I going? It is in comprehensible to me how such things occur. I also had big trouble with Elton John's Your Song as arranged by Larry Beekman. It started in the opening measure. I stuck with it though and after some confusion pulled it off. It is such things that drove me to abandon music some 25 or so years ago and just stick with photography.

Tomorrow, Valentines Day I am playing an event at the Jefferson County Historical Society, something with a chocolate and wine theme. We will see how that goes.
Good night all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leav comments and suggestions about this blog and how I maght improve it. Thanks, Gary Walts