About this blog title

I cannot tell you how many times I have shown up at events with a couple of cameras around my neck, a gadget bag full of odds & ends and a lighting kit and have been asked that question. If it happened once every few years, that would be one thing. But it happens a LOT. It's like getting pulled over by the police and he's standing there with uniform, gun, flashing lights and asking him "Are you a cop?" I would love to come back with a witty reply, such as "No, I am Jesus. Don't you recognize my beard?" However, I cannot be that rude.


Wednesday, April 18, 2012

My Bank Account Was Robbed

I went online to check out my checking account and discovered a $500.00 bank transfer of money from my account to a PayPal account. I didn't authorize that. Just a couple months ago there was an attempt to transfer $600.00 from my account but nit was foiled before it took place. At that point I changed my user name & password on the advice of my banker. He said who ever initiated the fraudulent transfer had to know my user ID & password. So, with those changed I thought everything was fine. THis $500.00 transfer went through and my checking account was debited. So I had to call the bank, go in in person and sign some paperwork. I was also told I may need to file a police report.
Anyway, the evnt happened on April 12th. A couple days go by and just on a fluke I was going to make a purchase with a credit card I have not used in a long time. I called the 800 number to check my available credit and discovered that it had been maxed out. NOT BY ME! I have not used that card in FOREVER. So I call the bank (Chase). This is not the same bank as my checking account. Someone sent $4,000.00 from my credit card to a paypal account. Low and behold that event also took place on April 13th. Makes me wonder if I have been a victim of identity theft. The credit card issue was easy to resolve. Chase Bank was terrific in how they handled it. However, it may take 5 to 7 days before my checking account is credited with the missing $500.00
This is most disconcerting. We put our money in banks assuming it is safe. The bank is supposed to keep our money safe. It's supposed to be the one place where you will not get robbed. My money was in THIER bank. It was stolen from my account but for all intents and purposes, THE BANK WAS ROBBED! The lesson learned is: Our money is no longer safe in banks.
Now I see no choice but to close the account. Two incidents in about 3 months leaves me no choice. What a hassel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leav comments and suggestions about this blog and how I maght improve it. Thanks, Gary Walts