About this blog title

I cannot tell you how many times I have shown up at events with a couple of cameras around my neck, a gadget bag full of odds & ends and a lighting kit and have been asked that question. If it happened once every few years, that would be one thing. But it happens a LOT. It's like getting pulled over by the police and he's standing there with uniform, gun, flashing lights and asking him "Are you a cop?" I would love to come back with a witty reply, such as "No, I am Jesus. Don't you recognize my beard?" However, I cannot be that rude.


Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Photo District News magazine, Eugene Meatyard book

September 2000 issue of Photo District News. A story about me appears on page 114.

I have had a nice darkroom in my home for many years. However, in recent years I have simply not iused it and it has turned into a room full of junk, likem a giant unorganized closet. Well that is about to end. Yesterday as i was cleaning out stuff, throwing stuff away, I opened a box and found a September 2000 issue of Photo District News magazine that featured a story about me and a photo essay I made about my father. I also discovered one of my favorite books that I have been looking for for quite some time. That would be an Aperture publication of Eugene Meatyard photos. I love Meatyard's work. I wish I could have met him.
September 2000 issue of Photo District News. A story about me appears on page 114.

This book of Eugene Meatyard photos is among my favorites. This volum was published in 1974. Meatyard had an exhibition of his photos at Jefferson Community College in Watertown, NY in (I believe) 1971. That's where I first saw his work. I loved it. Still do. I have another book about Meatyard that I have also mis-placed and hopefully will find it amid the clutter one day soon. 
1971 Aperture publication about Eugene Meatyard, one of my all time favorite photo books.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leav comments and suggestions about this blog and how I maght improve it. Thanks, Gary Walts