About this blog title

I cannot tell you how many times I have shown up at events with a couple of cameras around my neck, a gadget bag full of odds & ends and a lighting kit and have been asked that question. If it happened once every few years, that would be one thing. But it happens a LOT. It's like getting pulled over by the police and he's standing there with uniform, gun, flashing lights and asking him "Are you a cop?" I would love to come back with a witty reply, such as "No, I am Jesus. Don't you recognize my beard?" However, I cannot be that rude.


Monday, January 30, 2012

While My Guitar Gently Weeps

I photographed these two boys at least 20 years ago. They were at a cattle auction in Dekalb Junction, a hamlet in St. Lawrence County, NY.

I took the photo with a Minolta X700 35mm camera on Kodak Tri-X film. I used a 400mm lens. Later that same day I photographed them again inside the auction house amid a group of other farmers who were buying, selling, bidding. When I come across that photo I will add it here.

This past Sturday evening I played guitar during the cocktail hour befor the North Country Arts Council's membership dinner. It started out well, but I became distracted and had to abandon a couple of pieces I would have liked to play. One of those was Larry Beekman's arrangement of While My Guitar Gently Weeps by George Harrison / The Beatles. I started to play it, couldn't get through the intro, fumbled around for a few seconds and said, "To Hell with it." I then jumped into Mason Williams hit Classical Gas. I pulled that one off wonderfully.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps

The following is a video of me playing Larry Beekman's arrangement. There are a couple of things troublesome about this video. The biggest one is that the audio is out of sych with the picture.



I made this video with a Nikon D7000 camera. It was my first try at using the HD video function. The audio was captured with the camera's built in microphone. So I am not happy with the overall result. I eventually discovered that I must convert the Quicktime video file to an AVI file which corrects the out of synch audio track. Don't ask me why this problem and work around solution exists. Maybe Nikon has corrected it by now. Maybe that's just the way it is. I really do not know. But after this test I use an external mic or my Zoom H2 digital recorder to capture the audio.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leav comments and suggestions about this blog and how I maght improve it. Thanks, Gary Walts