About this blog title

I cannot tell you how many times I have shown up at events with a couple of cameras around my neck, a gadget bag full of odds & ends and a lighting kit and have been asked that question. If it happened once every few years, that would be one thing. But it happens a LOT. It's like getting pulled over by the police and he's standing there with uniform, gun, flashing lights and asking him "Are you a cop?" I would love to come back with a witty reply, such as "No, I am Jesus. Don't you recognize my beard?" However, I cannot be that rude.


Monday, January 23, 2012

Fernando Sor Guitar Study #5

It is 6:00am here in Chaumont, NY. The Sun is out, the temperature is 36 degrees F, the barometric pressure is 29.99 and falling. I guess that spells clouds and rain for the near future.


This is a photo I took at least 20 years ago. I shot it with a Minolta x700 35mm camera with Kodak Tri-X film. I was sitting at a red light at the foot of State St. in Watertown and snapped it from the drivers window. The light changed and I drove off. The man never knew I took his picture. I find that interesting in more ways than one.



More and more lately I feel like devoting most of my time and energy to music and the guitar. It is something I feel I have not mastered. There are obstacles I need to overcome. Among them are improving sight reading music. Performing in recital or concert situations where the audience is close and attentive and hanging on every note that I play. Feeling and playing confidently in those situations requires a different kind of practice. I'm guessing it can only be achieved by getting out "there" and doing it.

I also am struggling to make a decision to dismantle my black & white darkroom. Again, it is because I think I would rather devote my time to music. I certainly will never give up photography, just let certain parts of it go. At least for a while. I have not processed any black & white film or made any prints in 36 months. These are just a couple of the many things I am wrestling with.

Gary Walts plays Fernando Sor (study #5 from Andres Segovia edition).




I made this video one afternoon in April while i was busy doing Spring cleaning in the yard at my home. Often times I keep a guitar near by while working so as to grab a few minutes of practice when I take a break from the chores. Thus it is that I am wearing some shabby work clothes. There is some wind noise, some birds squawking and the sound of kids playing in the school yard behind the house. Hope you enjoy it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leav comments and suggestions about this blog and how I maght improve it. Thanks, Gary Walts