About this blog title

I cannot tell you how many times I have shown up at events with a couple of cameras around my neck, a gadget bag full of odds & ends and a lighting kit and have been asked that question. If it happened once every few years, that would be one thing. But it happens a LOT. It's like getting pulled over by the police and he's standing there with uniform, gun, flashing lights and asking him "Are you a cop?" I would love to come back with a witty reply, such as "No, I am Jesus. Don't you recognize my beard?" However, I cannot be that rude.


Sunday, September 25, 2022

Photos of Northern Flicker woodpeckers, Chaumont, NY

 

Northern Flicker woodpecker in my backyard, Chaumont, NY.

I present here today a couple photos of Northern Flicker woodpeckers that have been in our yard in Chaumont, NY. I really don't recall seeing these birds here before. I have learned they are quite common here in  the North Country. A friend who lives in Chippewa Bay on the St. Lawrence River says they are plentiful there. I shot the photos with a Minolta 500mm f8 lens, hand held, with a Sony a6600 camera. It was raining here today when I snapped these photos.  Camera settings were iso 2000, 1/200th sec shutter speed. All of the photos exhibit some motion blur and the focus is on the birds body rather than it's head. I also had to crop the photos quite a bit to zoom in on the birds. Today was the 3rd time that I had a camera close to try and photograph them. The seem to be skittish and fly off as soon as they sense my presence. 

Northern Flicker woodpecker in my backyard, Chaumont, NY.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leav comments and suggestions about this blog and how I maght improve it. Thanks, Gary Walts